Senior lads draw with St. Farnans in dramatic match

Owenmore Gaels 0-19 St. Farnans 2-13

The senior lads just about kept their division 2 survival hopes alive in an enthralling draw with St. Farnans on Sunday.

Our return to a wonderfully presented Connolly Park after an eight week absence unfortunately did not inspire a good start. Goalkeeper Jason Farrell was forced into a good save in the first minute, St. Farnans scoring the resultant 45’ and quickly followed this up with three more scores, two from frees as they dominated the opening exchanges.

Our first score came from Tommy Trill, the ball well worked up the pitch after an important Garrett Lavin turnover. The teams exchanges scores, ours a free from Aaron Nicholson after he was fouled inside before Trill got his second of the game.

However Farnans were still on top and struck for their first goal following a flowing move and tagged on 2 points leaving us 1-7 0-3 behind and in big trouble.

The experienced Peter Wynne led the charge, getting on the end of a Conor Davey pass to shoot a point and quickly following up with another, this time fisting over with Davey again providing the assist. Farnans responded with a point before we got the last two of the half, both frees, from Nicholson and Stephen Fallon. Between these scores the Farnans keeper saved point blank from a Nicholson effort as we showed signs of a fightback. Half time score Owenmore Gaels 0-7 St. Farnans 1-8

Fallon hit the first point of the second half, a fine effort set up by Jack Foley and Trill. Fallon almost followed up with a goal, fetching a high ball just outside the square and engineering room for the shot only for the keeper to pull off a brilliant save. Nicholson popped over a free before Fallon hit a beauty after a great run from Aaron Walsh. Farnans got out of their half to win a free which they converted but we pulled the margin back to the minimum with another Nicholson free after Wynne was fouled. Against the run of play Farnans then struck for a second goal.

However we responded to the setback. Trill drove forward smashing through tackles to land a score, after a super run from sub Mark Walsh. Nicholson converted another free before Trill added his fourth point made by an inspirational turnover by Nicholson chasing back into the midfield to pull us back within a point. Farnans mustered a response in the shape of a point but we continued on relentlessly. Davey knocked over before Nicholson hit a massive score from play off his left boot to tie the game up for the first time.

Kevin Healy was introduced and made an immediate impact, claiming a kick-out and pointing before Ross Taheny scored a free from the ground to put us two up entering the closing stages.

Credit to Farnans they responded to hit two points and once again level. We went in search of a winner and another lunge busting run from Mark Walsh ended with Foley splitting the posts in added time. However there was still time for Farnans to raid upfield and win a free to equalise with the last kick of the game.

Notable performances on the day for the Gaels were Peter Wynne at the back, Tommy Trill in midfield and Aaron Nicholson up top, Nicholson a senior team veteran of 20 years in particular showing he still has loads to offer at this level with an outstanding display.

Team: Jason Farrell, Roan Conneely (Stanley Harte), Pa Murphy (Kyle Taheny), Garrett Lavin, Peter Wynne (0-2), Roly Anderson, Jack Foley (0-1), Tommy Trill (0-4), James Duffy, Conor Davey (0-1), Ross Taheny (0-1, 1F), Oisin Geraghty (Kevin Healy (0-1), Stephen Fallon (0-3, 1F), Aaron Nicholson (0-6, 5F) (Gary Anderson), Aaron Walsh (Mark Walsh). Subs: Diarmuid O’Grady, Simon Cashman, Ross Trill, Callum Tonry

Comments are closed.